Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Crucible: Act Two

Ever since Mr. Tadla's good old heath class, I really have not once thought about the color personality test. It really has not come into my day once. I cannot think of one time where I thought to myself, "Man, I wonder what color that girl is?" In literature, however, it does make more sense to use the color profiles to identify characters, and I am sure that when the author wrote the book, he had a sense of what color each of the characters were in his mind.

Proctor is a very strange character. I believe that his main color is green, but his secondary color definitely has to be orange. Proctor is a very honest and good man, and that is where the green comes in. He is a thinker, and when he knew he was wrong (for example, cheating on your wife is wrong) he did everything he could to make it right. Since he cheated on his wife, however, I believe that is where the orange comes in. He could not help himself. If he was straight up green, he would have used his logical skills and realized that cheating on his wife would mathematically lead to bad things. But an orange person desires things that are intense and crazy, such as cheating on your wife. That doesn't sound very green to me.

At this point in the story, Abigail is definitely orange. She seems like a character that really only cares  about having fun and does not worry about the rules. For example, she decided it would be fun to dance around in the forest at a "witch ritual" and she just had the time of her life. She didn't really care about her family, who she threw under the bus by doing all this witch craft, and she obviously didn't care about the rules, since she broke a whole bunch of them. She never really seemed like she wanted to learn from her mistakes, which definitely rules out gold or green, since both of those colors like to be right, and you can't be right if you don't know anything. She is just an immature orange little girl.

Hale is definitely a green person. I myself have a primary color of green, and many of the green traits fit me very well. Green people use logic and research to figure out problems and make sure they're right. Hale used his logic skills to try and figure out what was happening in Salem. Hale also thought over his accusations before accusing anyone of witchcraft.

All of my color assignments are from my reading so far. As the story progresses, I may find that some of the colors may change, but as of this point in the plot, I feel that my color assignments are very solid and accurately describe the characters. Assigning the colors to the characters is a great way to obtain a greater understanding of the characters in any story. Also, knowing what kind of writing style the author used would help greatly.

Miller, Arthur. The Crucible. New York, NY: Penguin, 1996. Print.

http://www.true-colors.com/WhatisTrueColors.html

No comments:

Post a Comment