Thursday, November 17, 2011

Journal #17 - Bonding with Nature

In my life, I've had many experiences with nature. When I lived at my old house, we were back right against a wooded area. I was walking back there one day and saw that there were two trees very close to each other. I decided that I was going to construct a fort between those two trees. I was only 10 at the time, but I set off on my adventure to find supplies. I ended up tying up a branch and using knots and lashings to finish my fort. I even slept out one night in it. It was great.

Another time, in that same back yard, Chris O'Connor, Taylor Ray and I decided to build a boat to sail on our creek in my back yard. First, we started by building a bridge from one side of the creek to the other. Obviously, my parents had no idea what we were all doing back there, and that was probably best. We would have gotten in trouble for sure, and we eventually did. But before everything fell through, we had the time of our lives. We searched my garage for essentially anything that we thought would float and basically just tapped it all together. We threw it in the water and somehow, it floated! we were all amazed, and we voted that Taylor should be the first one to try it, since he was the lightest of the three of us. He laid down on it, and amazingly, it held him out of the water! Remember, the creek we were in was only about 3 feet wide, which was the width of the boat, and it was only about 2 feet deep, so there really wasn't much room to mess up. We grabbed hold of the rope on the front of the boat and we pulled him down the creek on our homemade raft. At one point we encountered an obstacle, a tree in the water. Taylor hopped off and we put the boat over the tree, but I ended up dropping my phone in the creek! I grabbed it out as soon as I could, but the water damage was very noticeable. That was when we, and by we I mean I, had to tell my parents and they were not happy. That trip was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had with nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment