Friday, August 19, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea - Rating and Review

When I first saw this book on the list for summer reading, I really didn't know what to think. I had never really heard anything about the book, and I just wasn't sure what to think. When I got the book, I cheered up a little bit because the book was so little, and let's be honest, everyone loves a small summer reading book. So I cracked it open one day in August, since you know, I really didn't have much time before school started, and began my journey with the old man and the sea. The story started out like no story I had ever read. The writing style was very different from other summer reading books. Usually, I can't even understand what I'm reading when I read summer books and try to write essay's (hint hint Great Expectations and Jayne Eyre). But this book was different. The sentences were for the most part very short and declarative, so the book was easy to understand. The author obviously wanted to make sure he got his point across, because everything was pretty much spelled out for me. As the story progressed, I formed a bond with the old man. I truly sympathized with him, and I really wanted him to catch that fish. I can't imagine going 84 days without catching something. I mean, I'm sure he caught a tire, the occasional beer can or even some seaweed, but I really wanted him to catch that fish. So when he was out in his boat and caught his first fish, I almost jumped out of bed and screamed because he finally did it. But, then he got a little greedy and used that fish to catch a bigger fish. That's where I wanted to jump in his boat and punch him in the mouth. If you went for 84 days without a fish, why would you throw it in the water as bait? Eat that fish! Beggars can't be choosers old man. But anyways, he caught the other huge fish so it all worked out...not. Those stupid sharks ate his fish and ruined the story for everyone. Darn sharks. Overall, this was a good story, and I really enjoyed following the tale of the old man. I would give it a 4 out of 5, just because I was hoping for a happy ending.

Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner Paperback Fiction, 1995. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment