Friday, August 19, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye - Rating and Review

The story The Catcher in the Rye was overall a good book. I mainly enjoyed it because it was very easy to relate to. Holden was the type of character that every reader falls in love with. I was rooting for him until the last page of the novel. The story had its ups and downs as far as content. I found the plot to be sort of uneventful. The story did only take place over 3 days, and really, it didn't have much of a point. So this kid gets kicked out of school, runs around New York for a while, and then goes home to decide to run away. His 10 year old sister was finally able to talk him out of it, and boom, end of story. I did like, however, the way the story was presented. The book was narrated by Holden, and that made the story very interesting. In stories that have a limited 3rd person narrator, the characters can't be fully understood because the narrator can't know what the characters are feeling or thinking. In this story, Holden was not afraid to tell you what he thought of the characters and the reader knew exactly what Holden was feeling through out the story. It was very entertaining. Some of the language was also entertaining, I think I will start using the word "phony" now just because of this story. The fact that there was adult content would help this book relate to the older audience reading the story. The theme of sexuality was prominent throughout the entire story. Two of the characters were even possibly molested as children, which added a dark twist to the story. Overall, I would give this story a 4.5 out of 5 because I really enjoyed the book. I had heard good things about it and decided to find out for myself, and I am glad that I did. I would definitely recommend this story to anyone.

Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 2001. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment