Friday, August 19, 2011

Fahrenheit 451 - Rating and Review

Of all of the books that I read this summer, school related or not, this was my favorite book by far. Bradbury did an excellent job of characterization, description, and dramatization. The story was very interesting, and I found that I just couldn't put the book down sometimes. I just had to find out what Montag was going to do next, and I love feeling that when I read a book. Most of the time, that is so hard to come by in a summer reading novel, but this book was definitely the exception. I'm reasonably sure that Paramore's The Only Exception song was written about this book because it was actually an interesting summer reading novel. Science fiction stories are probably my favorite books to read, and this book sort of had a science fiction era to it. It told of a futuristic society, which right there tells you that it could be considered science fiction. My dad actually suggested this book for me. He had read it in the past and thought highly of it, and I'm glad that he suggested it to me. Montag could be described as the typical factory worker. A person who went to work every day and did their job without really giving it much thought. I really enjoyed reading about Montag's transformation from the typical man into someone who was aware of the things going on around them. Bradbury did an excellent job transforming Montag's character. But why did he name him Montag? Was Bradbury German? Montag is the German word for Monday. That is the only aspect of the story that I don't understand, but it is really irrelevant to the plot, it is just a name. I would rate this book with a 5 out of 5 because it really kept me interested in the story and I really enjoyed reading it. I hope that in the future, more books will be put on the summer reading list that are similar to this story to help engage the students in their summer homework, and not just make it a chore that they hate doing.

Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Ballantine, 1953. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment