Thursday, October 27, 2011

Journal #14 - Franklin's Apprentice

If I had the privilege of being Ben Franklin's apprentice, I would not only be honored, but I would use the experience as a tool to improve my moral compass. Franklin was known as a very insightful man during his time; he was also a very good role model for people to follow after. If I was able to study with him, I'm sure that I would learn a lot. One of Franklin's 13 virtues was the virtue of industry, which would be a great virtue for an apprentice to follow. During my apprenticeship, I would try to learn from Franklin, picking out every piece of information that I could to enlighten my life. Since the invention of a time machine has not occurred yet, so it is not possible for me to be Franklin's apprentice. If, by some branch of scientific genius a time machine is created, I would be more than happy to become Franklin's apprentice. We could forge swords, ride horses and eat lamb legs, which is pretty much everything that people did in the 1700's. In our history books as well as our English class, we learned that Franklin was a great thinker of his time. He probably had so many ideas and theories that he never got to write down. Those theories could be some of the greatest ideas in the history of time, but people may have thought he was crazy, so he might have not recorded them. If I was his apprentice, I would be able to listen to his teachings and take information from him, and after citing him using correct MLA parenthetical citations, I could write a paper consisting of all of his great knowledge that was never recorded. Franklin also had his own views on the American Dream that I would be so happy to listen to. He was a very insightful man with much to say, but there weren't many people of his time that were on the same intellectual level that he was. I would love to just chat with Franklin to hear what that great man had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment