Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Journal #28 - "I Heard A Fly Buzz When I Died"

Dickinson's poem "I Head A Fly Buzz When I Died" was a very interesting poem. The opening line of the poem would not trouble any person who believed that the personality is a large part of a person's soul. Dickinson's main goal of the poem was to show that poetry is not used to depict photographic images, but to engage the readers intellect and provoke thought. The poem begins telling that the character heard a fly buzzing at the exact moment that she died. She recalled that the room became very still, and used the simile "like a lull in a storm." That line could be used to describe the complete quietness that she felt as soon as she died or also the relief form the pain that she was feeling during her death. Dickinson final line in the poem, "I could not see to see" has conflicting interpretations.

No comments:

Post a Comment